24.1.07

Why I Hate that I Love Nerds

They're so smart, but they're just so nerdy.
They dress poorly and style their hair even more poorly.
Worst of all is the defensive nerd-pride, feebly clutching a knowledge of the Second Law of Thermodynamics to explain why they are infinitely superior to all the attractive, outgoing guys. When they fail at that, nerds decide they are superior to all women just because they are men even though that argument defies all logic and most experience.

But I love it so much! I love arguing with nerds because it's just so fun to tear down their defenses. And it is a wonderful challenge when they really are smart and know their stuff. However, I know that many nerds will subbornly refuse to leave a sinking argument even when I'm right. I hate that. Yet, I do it anyway.
I also love how nerds make me feel like the only woman in the room because often I'm the only woman in the room interested in what they're saying or willing to listen to them say it in the first place. With nerds, sometimes I really am the only woman in the room.

Some nerds let me be in charge because compared to theirs, my personality is a steamroller. That makes me really happy.

Most of all, I can't stand that nerds remind me of my dad. Especially engineer-nerds who are way too skinny and who joke about nerdy things without first checking the room for people who would actually understand the joke. It makes me think about all those times my mother told me that people look for mates like their parents, and how my mom looks like my paternal grandmother and how my dad looks like my maternal grandfather. It's just weird; plus, I hate following trends. And then I think about how my mom is so organized and in charge and how I'm not sure I can handle as much responsibility as she has because I'm not organized at all. Some non-nerdy man who'd run my life for me doesn't sound so bad.

I've already lived with my dad. I want someone new! Or maybe resistance is futile: I'm doomed to nerd-wifehood.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're going to marry a nerd!!!!!!!!!

26.1.07  

Post a Comment

<< Home