15.4.07

Flirtbuddies and the Mysterious Sarah

My tall flirtbuddy gave me his book today—Lonely Planet's Europe on a Shoestring. When I saw the price on the back, I determined to return it to him, but what baffled me more was why he gave it to me. Are flirtbuddies just extremely personable nice guys, like Yasser in high school who made every woman he talked to feel like the most beautiful woman in the world, or are they interested but afraid of dating? Did my tall flirtbuddy give me the book because he likes me or because he noticed me tear up when I saw it?
Why did my short flirtbuddy adjust my collar last weekend? Why does he always sit next to me when we are in a group? Why does he tease me about not seeing him often enough?
All of these things are normal signs of interest, except my short flirtbuddy has had six months to ask me out but hasn't. My tall flirtbuddy has had eight. I've been assuming we're perpetual flirtbuddies, for flirting is fun and not nearly as much work as dating, but their latest moves have kinda crossed the line. I wouldn't give a guy a book unless I were majorly interested. Nor would I adjust the collar of a mere flirtbuddy. I'm confused.

On a completely different, and spurious, note, I met the strangest person yesterday. Her name is Sarah, and she is the most nondescript woman in the world. The only exceptional thing about her is that she's so unexceptional. Her height: short end of average. Her build: slight. Her face: soft features; not pretty, not ugly; clear, pasty skin; no makeup. Her eyes: light brown, I think. Her hair: some dull noncolor between blonde and brunette. Her clothing: neutral colors in the style of two years ago. Her voice: easily canceled out by the scrape of a single chair on linoleum across the room.
She claimed we had met before, but she must be so forgettable that I forgot. I'm writing this so that the next time I see a completely boring-looking young woman, I can say, "Hi, Sarah!"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, well, since guys are completely incapable of being insecure, I would assume that these particular "flirtbuddies" (note: only a woman would come up with this term. Guys flirt with girls they are interested in, joke around with girls they aren't. /note) are completely platonic in every sense of the word.

Of course, I don't think Plato had any idea what the fuck he was talking about.

The larger question is are you interested. If so, be proactive. I may have advice on how to be so in a, um, smooth way, so let me know, coz.

16.4.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmmmmm. . .I seem to remember some other insecure little girl named Sarah. . .

17.4.07  

Post a Comment

<< Home