1.11.07

New Life

I pass an overgrown rose hedge every day on my way to campus. This July, the roses were pale and parched from the weeks and weeks of 110° weather. A few weeks ago, our first frost killed the last remaining flowers. Now, the hedge is covered in fresh, dark pink blossoms. I mean, anyone who knows anything about plants knows that these rose bushes shouldn't be producing anything; the bushes are completely neglected. Yet hundreds of delicate flowers bow to me as I walk to work, class, and church. I wish I showed so much grace under adversity.

3 Comments:

Blogger travis said...

For many of us, adversity is like a drug. Those of us most addicted have a tolerance so great that we won't be affected except under the most dire of circumstances.

Just because you haven't had long enough to fully measure your tolerance, you shouldn't worry that you'll too quickly buckle.

Your comparison was fine, my blue-collar mind simply went another direction...

1.11.07  
Blogger travis said...

Which is exactly my point. Perhaps you are another addict, lured in by scary movies and traumatic car wrecks, and now respond poorly to doses that are not on par with previous experiences.

I thought the semi-truck the question referred to was a common eighteen wheeler...

1.11.07  
Blogger travis said...

Oh come now...

Even Freud knew that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar!
Let the kids eat the ice cream; it won't be near as healthy as that apple prescribed by Wicca, but those apples have razor blades!

I really don't notice winks anymore. I knew a gal, once upon a time, who thought winks were so sexy they could get her out of any trouble.

Really, it just annoyed me.

1.11.07  

Post a Comment

<< Home