18.10.07

Truth in Comedy

My question is this: . . . Is English capable of sustaining demagoguery? . . . I mean highly charged oratory; persuasive, whipping-up rhetoric. Listen to me, listen to me. If Hitler had been British, would we, under similar circumstances, have been moved, charged up, fired up by his inflammatory speeches, or would we simply have laughed? Is English too ironic to sustain Hitlerian styles? Would his language simply have rung false in our ears?
—Stephen Fry, in episode 2 of A Bit of Fry and Laurie

1 Comments:

Blogger travis said...

Very few people understand my fascination with British comedy. Quite a few Utahns I know think that Hugh Laurie is some crazy attempt at androgeny for the sake of a stage name. In reality, he has single handedly changed American comedy by bringing back timing and vocabulary as important tools.
I am infatuated with Brit-styled banter. In print, on the big screen, or even on T.V. Fry and Laurie are great, but there are so many others... Keep researching, you'll see!

Cheers!

18.10.07  

Post a Comment

<< Home