9.12.07

Adulthood

In a recent survey, 93 percent of college students between the ages of eighteen and twenty-five said that being financially independent from their parents was a requirement for adulthood. Only 73 percent of college students' dads said that was necessary. Similarly, while 53 percent of college students said being settled in a longterm career was an important part of adulthood, only 31 percent of their dads agreed.

Where do these parents come from? And why, even though I am financially independent of my parents (until I go on my mission), do I not consider myself an adult? Is it because I'm surrounded by frustrated postadolescents? Or does adulthood require something more permanent than half a bedroom?

1 Comments:

Blogger travis said...

If adulthood is simply self perception, then I will never be an adult.
I once saw a bumper sticker inquiring as to why all of Life's problems can't hit us when we are seventeen and know everything. My rebuttal is that human beings generally become more and more inflexible as we age. That inflexibility is the cause of many issues and is defended as "reason" and "wisdom" by those too entrenched to understand the truth.

I never want to reach that point, thus I will never alter my self perception enough to allow myself to arrive there.

I am forever young...

10.12.07  

Post a Comment

<< Home