2.9.06

Is patriotism godly?

Whilst eating breakfast after watching Everything is Illuminated, I started thinking about how this current collection of little conflicts could easily turn into WWIII.

Yeah, yeah, you've heard it before. So have I. Then, I started to wonder: what if we were on the "wrong" side of World War Three? How would we know? Did the German people know they were on the "wrong" side of WWII? I used to hear stories of righteous Germans who went to war because supporting one's country is the "right" thing to do, but I never thought much about it. Suddenly, those anecdotes are closer to home; which is more "right", to fight against one's own government when it is "wrong" or to fight for one's own government even though it is "wrong"?

Which is more valuable, patriotism or righteous rebellion?

How is a patriotic person to know that he or she is on the "wrong" side?

Please note that I mean "what if we were on the 'wrong' side", not "we are on the wrong side". I am not suggesting rebellion in any country, real or imagined. I'm just thinking about how it must have been hard to know.

1 Comments:

Blogger NWJR said...

It's easy to know who's right or wrong if you're patient enough.

The winners write the history books. Therefore, whoever wins is "right".

8.9.06  

Post a Comment

<< Home