19.3.06

No one can say they didn't know it was coming…

I was frustrated enough when those campaigning for gay marriage cited the Civil Rights movement of the 1960s as their precedent—like Martin Luther King Jr. would ever support gay marriage or like the struggle to make all of God's children equal under the law is in anyway similar to creating a new law that is in strict opposition to God's law.
Now, according to another Newsweek article that popped up on Hotmail, polygamous groups are trying to ride the wave of same-sex marriage advocacy to have their practices legalized. In a way, I can see the logic behind this: when it is considered appropriate for respected artists to father twelve children by seven different women and for two women to marry each other, why not polygamous unions?
And, it's not just people who call themselves Mormons anymore. According to the article, Muslim and evangelical Christian polygamists may outnumber the so-called Mormon ones in the United States. This really surprised me since as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints I am a little sensitive to issues about polygamy. Polygamists are not members of my church, but they are often called Mormon which is confusing since members of my church usually call themselves Mormon as well (it's a lot shorter than "a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints").
Civil marriage is beginning to lose any clear significance. Even though I am definitely against both same-sex marriage and polygamy, I'm starting to wonder: why not? If marriage is just a piece of paper from the courthouse, who cares who's filling it out and with whom?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very intriguing...
"Why can't I have a normal sister who writes passionatly about the crime that Ugg boots are out of style?"
Just kidding. I love you the way you are, keep up the intellectual posts!
Can't wait to see you!!!
Love always,
Debbie

19.3.06  
Blogger NWJR said...

I'm against civil marriage. I think all marriages should be un-civil. ;-)

Actually, I don't think the guv'mint should be involved in marriage at all. It's a religious contract. The guv'mint has no business in it at all.

IMHO, anyway.

20.3.06  

Post a Comment

<< Home