18.3.06

Only Shirley Temple Cries Pretty

Today, two of the roomies and I climbed on one of our ward's charter buses and rode up to Salt Lake City. Despite the humidity, which I maintain was very high compared to Utah's usual desert conditions, the air was cold on my bare toes and cheap-sweatshirt-clad arms. We spent an hour wandering around a ghost mall before deciding to eat in the warm Lion House Pantry, which serves warm comfort-food cafeteria-style in a pioneer-era house.
Then we rejoined everyone from church to see the new film playing at the Legacy Theater, Joseph Smith The Prophet of the Restoration. Never before has the humanity of Joseph Smith struck me so strongly. Yes, he spoke with God, but so can everyone else when we pray. He restored the Gospel that Christ established two thousand years ago, but Joseph Smith also had a real family, real friends, real responsibilities. It is amazing that he could even do what he did in the face of not just opposition, but life. I can barely remember to feed myself; yet, this man organized a church that has grown to fill the entire world.
I teared up when Alvin entered the room in the third scene and bawled like a baby through the rest of it. At least I really am not emotionally barren, but is that a good thing? Shirley Temple is the only person who has ever wept beautifully, but in her memoir she said she felt like freak because her nose did not turn red and run when she cried. I guess we've all got our little problems.
Although the entire movie was incredibly powerful, I have to admit that my favorite part of the picture was how it portrayed Joseph and Emma's relationship. He really treated her like an equal partner in their marriage. She went through hell as her husband was tarred, imprisoned, called away from home to help other families, and eventually murdered. Whatever situation my future husband and I find ourselves in, I hope that we could do those things for each other. How could I settle for less?
Which is Reason #231 that I am going to die alone.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the movie, it's amazing, although i do feel that the end was candy coated, no blood on joseph's shirt from hyrum's facial injury and also a very odd, and slightly cheesy end.

but I agree with you, alvin's part in the movie was amazing, very powerful.

-Mark

19.3.06  

Post a Comment

<< Home