17.12.07

Jumpin' on the Folk-Gothic Bandwagon after All the Cool People Left

I've created a new genre of music in my digital library: southern gothic. So far the category includes the following amazing songs (with many thanks to You Ain't So Picasso):

Pepper – The Butthole Surfers (Why do they have to have such a juvenile name?)
No More Workhorse Blues – Bonnie 'Prince' Billy
Black Comedy – Bright Eyes
All Your Kitchen Ghosts – The Color Bars
I Will Follow You into the Dark – Death Cab for Cutie
Sixteen Maybe Less – Iron & Wine
He Lays in the Reins – Iron & Wine
Dead Man's Will – Iron & Wine
Naked as We Came – Iron & Wine
White White – Ivana XL
Hanky Panky Knowhow – Miracle Fortress
Look for Me (I'll Be Around) – Neko Case
Things that Scare Me – Neko Case
White Chalk – PJ Harvey
Pickin' Up Rocks – Sharon van Etten
Let the Bombs Fall – Shearwater
Turn Your Transmitters Off – Shearwater
Wedding Bells Are Breaking Up that Old Gang of Mine – Shearwater
Whipping Boy – Shearwater
Seventeen Devils – Starlight Mints
Marianne, You've Done It Now . . . – Vandaveer
The Streets Is Full of Creeps – Vandaveer
The Black Angel's Death Song – The Velvet Underground
Sweet Bloody Murder – Wax Fang

Of course over half of the Decemberists' stuff would also go in this category ("The Infanta"'s a good example), but I already have a literary rock genre for them.

P.S. I'm suddenly smitten with Vandaveer. How did I not notice his songs in my library for so many years? He's amazing.

2 Comments:

Blogger Christa said...

Beth, if I could find a man as blessed with good taste in music and literature as you, well, I'd jump on that. You should download to song Nobody by Shearwater. It's so lovely!

18.12.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just wanted to say thank you for listening.
if you'd ever like a cd, i'll gladly mail you one.
send address to sharon_van_etten@yahoo.com

21.3.08  

Post a Comment

<< Home