6.2.08

A Perfect Storm


Sorry John McCain, your brutal honesty excites me, but a Clinton-Obama ticket is unbeatable. When I told my mother this, she said, "But I would never vote for them!" at which point I wished I could better control my verbal impulses, as my third-grade teacher, Mrs. Go, put it.

Of course the party faithfuls on both sides will vote for their candidates—there's no Ross Perot or Ralph Nader this time. But elections are decided by the people who don't care or are unsure about the issues the candidates have been pushing. A huge number of people will vote for a Clinton-Obama pair just because a woman president and a black vice-president is novel. (It's silly to reduce two whole, complicated people into "a woman" and "a black", isn't it?) Voting for them would be making history simply because of the factors Clinton and Obama can least control.

But it would be kinda fun. Even if it means that we'll have presidents from the same two families for at least 24 to 28 years. That's historical in itself.

2 Comments:

Blogger travis said...

Is it awkward for you if I admit to thinking you are amazing? Dang...

As I read, what struck me most is the fact that you are one of a very few people to point out we are considering people for jobs based not necessarily on experience or merit, but on attributes they can least affect- gender and race.

Then, as is my habit, I analyzed our situation with an eye on history. Applying this technique to our current political quagmire, I realize that Democrats always have and always will play a race/ sex card when possible. I have never met a group of people more adept at making someone feel bad...

Back, now, to you being amazing. Your last comment was well aimed. And I appreciate the tactful manner you used to tell me, "Grow UP!" I will not attempt to justify my position, but only because it might lessen your respect for me even further. Amazing...

I still think that the only way you'll see an Obama/ Clinton ticket is just the way I wrote it. Even the DNC is sick and tired of having the Clintons in charge. A vote for Hillary is just a vote for Bill's third term. Which is what I wrote months ago.

6.2.08  
Blogger travis said...

I just penned a supplemental and it involves your intellectual property, please feel free to castigate at will...

Cheers!

Who is the other reader of yours down here in The Dirty?

7.2.08  

Post a Comment

<< Home