29.1.08

Report on the Decemberists at the Crystal Ballroom


If the Grateful Dead were the Decemberists, I'd be a Deadhead.


On Wednesday night my sister and I went to the Crystal Ballroom to see the Decemberists' second Portland show. The tickets were a birthday present, and I don't think I've ever received a better one.


Since my life has been pretty boring so far, I'd say those two hours when they were on stage are in the top experiences of my life. The Decemberists sparkled (or to be more literary but less lyrical, they coruscated). Who needs pyrotechnics when you can play Guess What Instrument Chris Funk Will Play Next? Who needs costume changes when the harmonies shine forth from the stage with power of their own? Who needs one-name singers when you know the characters in the songs better than you know yourself?


They played all of my favorite songs except "The Legionnaire's Lament." Colin Meloy has a beard. Jenny Conlee played four instruments at once unless she was on the accordion, sometimes playing a glockenspiel with one hand and a keyboard with the other. Her amazing abilities made me regret what I said about her singing, and she sang better in person anyway. Nate Query plays the cello, the string bass, and the guitar, and he looked like Anthony Howell in his vest and tie. People have a strange fascination with Chris Funk.


John Moen stayed in the back most of the time. Oh yeah, and Laura Veirs herself sang "Yankee Bayonet" with Colin Meloy! "Sixteen Military Wives" was dedicated to Mitt Romney. (I hope this isn't a Jerome K. Jerome–like prophecy.) The audience sang along to most of the songs, though it was a little embarrassing when Colin Meloy turned the microphone for the crowd to shout, "sixteen military wives!" and then he kept the microphone out through the confused mumbling of what should have been, "thirty-two softly focused, brightly colored eyes."


There were some problems, like the drunk dancing girls who elbowed in during "The Mariner's Revenge song," and the incredibly and olfactorily unwashed couple nibbling each other's fingers in front of us. And my sister was, I think, embarrassed at my enthusiasm. But I don't care.

2 Comments:

Blogger travis said...

Actually, children were exactly the bipedal pets to which I was referring... What did you mean by "boytoy"? Aren't we all basically children as well?
If you are looking for a kool/rebellious/counter-culture title to refer to yourself and other Decmberists' fans, I might suggest "bolsheviks" or "thesaurian slaves". Then again I am largely uncreative...
I have come to realize something rather strange and disturbing to me: While I am inclined to arbitrarily disagree with you, I find that I look forward to your comments more than the others.
Your tempo and timbre are very appealing, so much that sometimes I can hear you. Okay, that was a little weird and stalker-ish.
In any case, I am glad you were able to attend that concert, Happy Birthday! I must admit jealousy, but not because I am such a huge bolshevik. This jealousy stems from the obvious joy you took from it. I am even wearing green, but it's part of the uniform...

29.1.08  
Blogger Christa said...

So desperately, achingly jealous of this event. Also, you are one of the few people in my acquaintance who require the use of a dictionary on my part, which is actually pretty cool.

I just want to be you, Beth! ;)

29.1.08  

Post a Comment

<< Home